We live in a world where natural resources like air and water are being threatened by the onslaught of human activities. Pollution and industrialization have caused the depletion of Mother Nature's reserves at an alarming rate.
What we can we do to save the Earth?
Students may explore the following topics on this theme:
* Pollution (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle)
* Innovations for the Earth
1. Pay attention to how you use water. The little things can make a big difference. Every time you turn off the water while you're brushing your teeth, you're doing something good. Got a leaky toilet? You might be wasting 200 gallons of water a day [Source: EPA]. Try drinking tap water instead of bottled water, so you aren't wasting all that packaging as well. Wash your clothes in cold water when you can.
2. Leave your car at home. If you can stay off the road just two days a week, you'll reduce greenhouse gas emissions by an average of 1,590 pounds per year [Source: EPA]. Combine your errands -- hit the post office, grocery store and shoe repair place in one trip. It will save you gas and time.
3. Walk or ride your bike to work, school and anywhere you can. You can reduce greenhouse gases while burning some calories and improving your health. If you can't walk or bike, use mass transit or carpool. Every car not on the road makes a difference.
If you must drink bottled water, recycle the bottle.
4. Recycle.You can help reduce pollution just by putting that soda can in a different bin. If you're trying to choose between two products, pick the one with the least packaging. If an office building of 7,000 workers recycled all of its office paper waste for a year, it would be the equivalent of taking almost 400 cars off the road [Source: EPA].
- Compost. Think about how much trash you make in a year. Reducing the amount of solid waste you produce in a year means taking up less space in landfills, so your tax dollars can work somewhere else. Plus, compost makes a great natural fertilizer. Composting is easier than you think.
Compost means to use decayed organic material as a plant fertilizer.
Information found from : http://science.howstuffworks.com/save-earth-top-ten.htm
5 ways to save the planet
: SOS LIVE EARTH SHORT FILM Director: SAM ARTHUR
Awesome Green Innovations for Earth Day 2009 [Source: Youtube]
:http://www.trendhunter.com/tv - Garbage bag couture, Captain Planet and Wind Powered Racers, Today we hunt Eco Innovations to Celebrate Earth Day! Innovations of Earth could also be the modern rechargeable batteries as it saves energy and it could also be the energy-saving bulbs, etc, etc...
Both videos are in .mov format (Mac).
Picture 1: pugetsoundblogs.com
Picture 2: buildbabybuild.com
Picture 3: chezsez.wordpress.com
Picture 4: angryconservative.com
Picture 5: mollymintz.com
Picture 6: 3danimation.e-spaces.com
Informative Combating Global Map